The Readings Foundation
The Readings Foundation
Established by Chair of Readings Mark Rubbo in 2009, The Readings Foundation assists Victorian organisations that support the development of literacy, community integration and the arts.
The aims of the Foundation are to:
- Aid the work of organisations that respond to the needs of disadvantaged groups living in our community;
- Focus on literacy, education and creative writing in all its forms; and
- Support projects which respond to a perceived need within the community.
The Readings Foundation grant committee is comprised of Chair of Readings, Mark Rubbo; author, Helen Garner; former Managing Director of the publisher John Wiley & Sons Australia, Peter Donoughue; the founder of Phase III Business Consulting, Gerald Smith; Vice President of the Small Press Network, Jim Hart, and a current Readings' staff member.
The Readings Foundation awards grants on an annual basis. Applications for the 2024 round of grants are now open and close on 5pm, Monday 16 October, 2023. Complete your submission here.
To be eligible for a Readings Foundation Grant, your organisation must be: based in Victoria (or have activities based in Victoria); and have Deductible Gift Recipient (Item 1) status with the Australian Tax Office (or have an auspice organisation with this status). If you’d like to discuss your forthcoming application please feel free to contact our Grants Officer, Angela Crocombe on [email protected] and arrange a time to chat.
OVER $200,000 AWARDED
The Readings Foundation is thrilled to announce a total of $229,898 has been awarded to the following 12 organisations in 2023:
- 100 Story Building – $15,050
- Australian Literacy & Numeracy Foundation – $20,000
- Banksia Gardens – $20,000
- CAN Community Services – $20,000
- Footpath Library – $20,000
- Paint the Town REaD – $19,850
- Reading Out of Poverty – $15,000
- The Smith Family – $19,998
- St Kilda Mums – $20,000
- Western Chances – $20,000
- The Wheeler Centre – $25,000
- Young Assets Foundation – $15,000
Since 2010 The Readings Foundation has donated over $2 million to amazing organisations in our community that support our most vulnerable people. Setting aside a percentage of all Readings Bookshop profits, as well as relying on generous donations from Readings customers, The Readings Foundation focuses on education and literacy programs at the grass-roots level.
Past grant recipients
Here is a complete list of previous successful applicants for Readings Foundation grants.
- 2023 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2022 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2020 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2019 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2018 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2017 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2016 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2015 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2014 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2013 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2012 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2011 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2010 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
Hear directly from past grant recipient Banksia Gardens below.
Making donations to the Readings Foundation
Readings donate a percentage of annual profit to The Readings Foundation each year, and crucial funds are also raised from donations by Readings customers.
You can make a donation to The Readings Foundation by using the online form below. All donations to The Readings Foundation over $2 are tax deductible.